Re: ide-cd? Can burn DVDs, just not read them...

Re: ide-cd? Can burn DVDs, just not read them...

Lennart Sorensen
On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 02:55:49PM -0700, Randy Gardner wrote:

> I just bought a shiny new 16x dvd burner (box says IOMagic IDVD16DD,
> drive says Magicspin 1016IM), and can burn dvds perfectly...  just not
> read them.
>
> Tried with both a dvd I burnt and with a purchased factory-made DVD, on
> two computers, with three different IDE controllers, with no change.
>
> Under 2.6.8.1, trying to read files off a dvd instantly oopses.  Under
> 2.6.11.7, reads are very, very slow, pegs the CPU at 100% (with dma
> on!), and sometimes give errors in the logs.  Under 2.6.12-rc3, reads
> don't work at all, 100% cpu, always logs errors, dma gets disabled, and
> typically the box takes a reboot to get it usable after trying to read
> (box is bogged down; 2 second keyboard delay, etc).  Those are using
> ide-cd; trying ide-scsi just panics.
>
> Burning works perfectly; 8x burns use about 3% cpu, with no errors.
>
> Motherboard in this system is a MSI 694D Pro (dual pentium 3) with Via
> VT82c686a chipset.  I use pci=noacpi, as acpi causes other problems
> (most notably two of my PCI slots stop working, even with the board
> flashed to the latest bios; putting a card in them causes either hangs
> or nobody cared errors).  Enabling acpi doesn't change the dvd problems.
>  Tested using both the standard ata/66 controller and the promise
> PDC20265 ide RAID controller.
>
> As a test, I drove the drive over to a relative's house, and popped it
> into her dual-boot system, with a via 82c596b chipset, no acpi at all.
> under 2.6.11.7, it has the exact same symptoms as on my box.  Under
> windoze, the drive works flawlessly, and can even read the dvds I burnt
> under linux with no errors.

Have you checked that the drive is running the latest firmware release
for it?  Bad firmware causes all sorts of problems.

What other device is it sharing the cable with?  Which is master and
which is slave?

Is it a 40 or 80 conductor ide cable?  Most 8x+ DVD writers want an 80
conductor as far as I know (at least to operate at full speed).

Len Sorensen
-
the body of a message to [hidden email]

Re: ide-cd? Can burn DVDs, just not read them...

Randy Gardner
Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> Have you checked that the drive is running the latest firmware release
> for it?  Bad firmware causes all sorts of problems.

Don't have an easy way to test that; I'd have to take it back to the
person with a dual-boot box, as I'm pretty sure their update utility is
a windoze bianry...

But, since problems are also happening with my cd-rw drive (even with
the dvd-rw out of the system), which I know worked before, I don't think
it's a drive problem.

> What other device is it sharing the cable with?  Which is master and
> which is slave?

Originally it shared a cable with my cd-rw drive, but I've tried it both
on its own cable and sharing with one of my hard drives, on both the
ata/66 controller and the ata/100 raid controller, with no changes at all.

> Is it a 40 or 80 conductor ide cable?  Most 8x+ DVD writers want an 80
> conductor as far as I know (at least to operate at full speed).

80 conductor cables for all tests.  I might be able to dig up a 40
conductor one for testing, but I don't think that'll help...

> Len Sorensen

Someone suggested I try a binary search of kernel versions to figure out
exactly when the cd-rw drive was broken (which worked before, unlike the
dvd, which I have no idea if it ever worked), in an effort to figure out
what caused it to break...  going to try this, but haven't had the
time...  a long project.  :)

Thanks again,
--Randy

-

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 10:55:15AM -0700, Randy Gardner wrote:
> Don't have an easy way to test that; I'd have to take it back to the
> person with a dual-boot box, as I'm pretty sure their update utility is
> a windoze bianry...

You should be able to see the firmware version using one of the cd
writing tools (cdrecord or dvd+rw-mediainfo or whichever).  Comparing to
what the manufacturer has on offer could at least tell that.  As for
updating, if it isn't a plextor it almost certainly requries windows
and/or dos to update (usually windows it seems).

> But, since problems are also happening with my cd-rw drive (even with
> the dvd-rw out of the system), which I know worked before, I don't think
> it's a drive problem.

Well that does sound odd.  Is this your own kernel build from plain
kernel.org sources or are there any patches involved?

> Originally it shared a cable with my cd-rw drive, but I've tried it both
> on its own cable and sharing with one of my hard drives, on both the
> ata/66 controller and the ata/100 raid controller, with no changes at all.

As far as I know, promise cards are only recommended for harddisks, but
I am not sure of that.  I have only ever used them for harddisks myself.

> 80 conductor cables for all tests.  I might be able to dig up a 40
> conductor one for testing, but I don't think that'll help...

Different cables tried?  Just in case you have a bad cable in there?

> Someone suggested I try a binary search of kernel versions to figure out
> exactly when the cd-rw drive was broken (which worked before, unlike the
> dvd, which I have no idea if it ever worked), in an effort to figure out
> what caused it to break...  going to try this, but haven't had the
> time...  a long project.  :)

Sounds painful.

Well so far I have had no problems reading or writing with 2.6.11,
2.6.10, 2.6.8, and some earlier 2.6 kernels (all Debian sarge or sid
builds).

Len Sorensen
-

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> You should be able to see the firmware version using one of the cd
> writing tools (cdrecord or dvd+rw-mediainfo or whichever).  Comparing to
> what the manufacturer has on offer could at least tell that.  As for
> updating, if it isn't a plextor it almost certainly requries windows
> and/or dos to update (usually windows it seems).

It's not a plextor...  they have some windows-only "live update" utility.

I spent all day fixing the $#@! lawnmower, so didn't get a chance to
take the drive to the relative with the windoze box to try updating it.

> Well that does sound odd.  Is this your own kernel build from plain
> kernel.org sources or are there any patches involved?

It's "patched" (the files are replacements, not patches, hence the
quotes) with the linuxwacom drivers, but those are replacements for a
couple usb files (evdev.c, hid-core.c, mousedev.c, usbmouse.c, and
wacom.c) and hopefully don't affect IDE.  I have the proprietary nvidia
driver installed, but I tried booting without it to test, with no
change.  Otherwise it's just the kernel.org sources.

> As far as I know, promise cards are only recommended for harddisks, but
> I am not sure of that.  I have only ever used them for harddisks myself.

The promise controller seems to suck...  I'd never use it for a hard
disk.  Don't trust the thing, and whenever you have a hard drive
installed, you have to either format it as a raid disk (even if it's
only a single drive) or press escape to make it boot, every time you go
to boot.  even on, say, powerfail recovery.  However, since plugging the
drive into the main ide controllers doesn't result in any change
whatsoever, I don't think it's related to the problem.

> Different cables tried?  Just in case you have a bad cable in there?

Tried a total of 4 cables...  one cable when it was shared with the
cd-rw on the promise controller, one cable when it was on the main
controller, one cable when it was on the promise controller not sharing
anything, and one cable when it was in the relative's dual-boot box.

>>Someone suggested I try a binary search of kernel versions to figure out
>>exactly when the cd-rw drive was broken (which worked before, unlike the
>>dvd, which I have no idea if it ever worked), in an effort to figure out
>>what caused it to break...  going to try this, but haven't had the
>>time...  a long project.  :)
>

> Sounds painful.

Very.  fortunately distcc makes it somewhat less painful, as I can throw
a total of 5 cpus at it...

> Well so far I have had no problems reading or writing with 2.6.11,
> 2.6.10, 2.6.8, and some earlier 2.6 kernels (all Debian sarge or sid
> builds).
>
> Len Sorensen

I can write fine...  that's the funny thing.  I can burn dvds at 8x with
only 3% or so cpu usage, and with the drive in the relative's windoze
box, can read the discs perfectly...  same for the cd-rw drive.  so
whatever it is only affects reads.

Tonight I'll be trying the suggestion of IDEDISK_MULTI_MODE=y to see if
it changes anything.  I think it only affects hard drives, but worth a shot.

Unfortunately, I have 6 motherboards, and every single one of them is a
via vt82c686a chipset, from the dual p3 ones to the athlon one...  so it
makes it a bit hard to see if it's a chipset-specific bug.  I might try
tomorrow hunting up a used p3 motherboard with a different chipset to
see if it makes it do anything differently.

Thanks again,
--Randy

-
the body of a message to [hidden email]

Re: ide-cd? Can burn DVDs, just not read them...

Jens Axboe
On Fri, Apr 22 2005, Randy Gardner wrote:
> Apr 21 19:18:57 localhost kernel: ISO 9660 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet
> Level 3
> Apr 21 19:18:57 localhost kernel: ISO 9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A
> Apr 21 19:19:27 localhost kernel: hdf: command error: status=0x51 {
> DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> Apr 21 19:19:27 localhost kernel: hdf: command error: error=0x54 {
> AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x05 }

Can you read the disc with dd safely? Eg dd if=/dev/hdf of=/dev/null
bs=2k

The multimode suggestion will not make any difference, atapi drives
don't do multimode at all anyways. It's an ata pio addition.

Try disabling dma on the drive as well.

--
Jens Axboe

-