Re: Linux kernel TI TLAN driver

Alan Cox
Try with 2.6.x - I'm not sure the 64bit cleanness stuff ever all got
into the 2.4 driver version.

Alan

-
the body of a message to [hidden email]

Re: Linux kernel TI TLAN driver

Mathiasen, Torben
On Mon, Apr 25 2005, Alan Cox wrote:
> Try with 2.6.x - I'm not sure the 64bit cleanness stuff ever all got
> into the 2.4 driver version.

Yeah the 2.6 version is your best bet. Allthough, I haven't tried it on an
Alpha in a long time.

BTW. I'm not maintaining the driver anymore. Samuel Chessman ([hidden email])
took over maintainership, but I'm not sure if he's still active.

Torben
-
the body of a message to [hidden email]

Re: Linux kernel TI TLAN driver

Ganesh Venkatesan
In general, just adding the device id to a driver in order to enable
it for a new device is not sufficient. They may (in most cases, will)
be additional logic that is needed in the driver to correctly enable
the  new device. If this is the case, I'd expect the patched driver to
fail on open even with the 2.6 kernel.

ganesh.

On Mon, Apr 25 2005, Ganesh Venkatesan wrote:
> In general, just adding the device id to a driver in order to enable
> it for a new device is not sufficient. They may (in most cases, will)
> be additional logic that is needed in the driver to correctly enable
> the  new device. If this is the case, I'd expect the patched driver to
> fail on open even with the 2.6 kernel.

Absolutely, but the TLAN parts are usually quite alike. Even when the EISA
support was added, only the probing was changed to accomodate those cards.

I remember trying the TLAN's on an alpha a few years ago, and IIRC the 64bit
support was lacking badly. I know some of this has been changed in the 2.6
version of the driver, but it may not work very well since so few people use
this combination.

Thanks,
Torben
-