Re: Linux 2.6.12-rc3: various swsusp problems

Re: Linux 2.6.12-rc3: various swsusp problems

Pavel Machek-2
Hi!

> >>1. Is it necessary to print the following message during regular boot?
> >>   swsusp: Suspend partition has wrong signature?
> >>   It is a bit annoying and I believe it will confuse some swsusp
> >>   users.
> >

> > Hmm, feel free to provide a patch. (I need something to try git on :-).
>
> I'll have a look over the weekend.

I already have something from Seife in my queue.

> >>2. PCMCIA related hangs during swsusp.
> >>   swsusp hangs after freeing memory when either cardmgr is running
> >>   or pcmcia cards are *physically* inserted. It is insufficient
> >>   to do a 'cardctl eject' the cards must be removed, too, for
> >>   swsusp not to hang. I do suspect some problem with the
> >>   'pccardd' kernel threads.
> >

> > Did it work with any older kernel? Which driver is it? yenta?
>
> 2.6.11.2 works ok and, yes, its yenta. Some excerpt from lspci:
>
> 00:0b.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI7420 CardBus Controller
> 00:0b.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI7420 CardBus Controller

Can you try some more binary search?

> >>3. Sometimes during the search for the suspend hang reason the system
> >>   went during suspend into a lightshow of:
> >>   eth0: Too much work at interrupt!
> >>   and some line that ends in:
> >>   release_console_sem+0x13d/0x1c0)
> >>   The start of the line is not readable as it just flickers by in
> >>   the eth0 message limbo. NIC is a built in RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet
> >>   (rev 10). Oh, no chance for a serial console capture as there's no
> >>   built in serial device in this laptop.
> >

> > How repeatable is that? Will NIC work okay if you rmmod/insmod its driver?
>
> Happens with a probability of about 10% to 20%. I did comment out the
> 'Too much work...' printk in r8169.c which results in the following
> effect: no more message from the network driver (expected), no other
> printk related to release_console_sem or anything else unusal, but write
> to disk in the case the problem seems to happen is suddenly quite slow
> and suspend eventually succeeds.

Well, I guess that's expected. If r8169 is looping somewhere with too
much work, no wonder it slows suspend down.

> As the nic driver is built into the kernel insmod/rmmod currently won't
> do:-) Nevertheless there doesn't seem to be any strange behaviour after
> resume though I didn't really try to use the nic then.
> There is, however, definitely no such problem with the nic in 2.6.11.2.

Well, try putting nic driver from 2.6.11.2 into latest kernel and see
what happens.

I assume your kernel command line and config stayed the same, right?

                                                                Pavel
--
Boycott Kodak -- for their patent abuse against Java.
-