Builtin early microcode breaks s2ram v4.6-rcX

Builtin early microcode breaks s2ram v4.6-rcX

Jim Bos

As I noticed microcode was no longer being loaded on v4.6-rcX I switched
to builtin microcode as described in

  Documentation/x86/early-microcode.txt

So I have now this:
CONFIG_FW_LOADER=y
CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=y
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="intel-ucode/06-2a-07 radeon/REDWOOD_me.bin
radeon/REDWOOD_pfp.bin radeon/REDWOOD_rlc.bin radeon/REDWOOD_smc.bin
radeon/CYPRESS_uvd.bin"
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR="/lib/firmware"
# CONFIG_FW_LOADER_USER_HELPER_FALLBACK is not set

That works, i.e. when booting as very first line I get message microcode
is loaded, see attached dmesg

However, after suspend to ram, trying to resume results in total lockup
of the machine:  no ping,  no sysrq-keys, only hard reset works.

Trying to bisect this didn't really work, earlier kernel (v4.5) doesn't
even boot with this config.

I'm seeing this on 2 rather different machines, on intel quadcore on 2-3
year old mobo and a dual core pentium on fairly new mobo.
Note that both machines do boot using EFI.

_
Jim

dmesg.gz (20K) Download Attachment

Re: Builtin early microcode breaks s2ram v4.6-rcX

Borislav Petkov-5
On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 02:16:28PM +0200, Jim Bos wrote:
> However, after suspend to ram, trying to resume results in total
> lockup of the machine: no ping, no sysrq-keys, only hard reset works.

Does it work when you add "dis_ucode_ldr" to the kernel command line?

--
Regards/Gruss,
    Boris.

On 05/15/2016 04:48 PM, Borislav Petkov wrote:
> On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 02:16:28PM +0200, Jim Bos wrote:
>> However, after suspend to ram, trying to resume results in total
>> lockup of the machine: no ping, no sysrq-keys, only hard reset works.
>
> Does it work when you add "dis_ucode_ldr" to the kernel command line?

Yes,  it boots  / suspends  / resumes  just fine.
(but no microcode updates in dmesg)

Jim

On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 05:45:49PM +0200, Jim Bos wrote:
> Yes,  it boots  / suspends  / resumes  just fine.
> (but no microcode updates in dmesg)

Ok, I'll take a look.

Btw, is there a particular reason why you're not doing microcode updates
through the initrd? Or you're running without one?

Also, can you send me your .config. Privately is fine too.

Thanks.

--
Regards/Gruss,
    Boris.